Golden Times

The Student News Site of Fleming Island High School

Golden Times

Golden Times

Homemade Tomato Soup

Do you like grilled cheese sandwiches? What about tomatoes? If your answer to both questions were yes then this is the recipe for you. Although canned tomato soup is delicious what do you think homemade tomato soup would taste like. Imagine the nice hints of garlic mixed with herbs and roasted tomatoes. Delicious, right? Now that I’ve got your mouth watering check out the recipe below to find out how to make a flavorful tomato soup.

This recipe can be found at:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8m4XcgF/

History

Tomato soup originated in Spain, there the Spanish called it Gazpacho. However, it took some time before tomato soup became popular, in fact a couple hundred years ago tomatoes were thought to be poisonous, this took a hit to the fruit’s reputation. It wasn’t until the 1800’s in America that people started to eat tomatoes due to food shortages caused by the Civil war. The tomato’s ability to be stored for a long time in cans came in handy. From there the introduction of canned tomatoes paved the way for tomato soup. Nowadays it is popular to eat tomato soup with a delectable grilled cheese sandwich.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Ingredients

• 5 full tomatoes
  • I whole garlic clove
  • 1-2 onions
  • A generous amount of olive oil to drizzle on
  • Pepper and Salt(sprinkle to your taste)
  • Garlic powder (optional)
  • Onion powder (optional)
  • Paprika (for more flavor)
  • Cayenne (optional)
  • Pinch of sugar towards the end
  • Heavy cream to pour on top

*After all the ingredients are taken out of the oven you can use some chicken broth to get all the rest of the bits and pieces that are stuck on the pan and pour it into the blender.

Review

Personally I just recently started to really like tomato soup. I have tried a variety of tomato soups from different places and brands. When I made this recipe I ended up splitting it in half. Overall I think it had too much garlic since the flavor was really strong. Another thing I noticed was you have to thoroughly blend it once you get to that step, unless you like chunky tomato soup then do as you want. In the end this wasn’t my favorite, but if you like garlic and tomatoes then this recipe is one that you’ll most likely like.

View Comments (2)
Donate to Golden Times
$60
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Fleming Island High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.