Golden Times

The Student News Site of Fleming Island High School

Golden Times

Golden Times

My Review of Different Horror Movies

If you’re someone like me who loves a good horror film, then this list is perfect for you. In this article, I’ll be giving you mixed reviews of different popular horror films. 

1. Don’t Breathe

ImB

Starting off strong, Don’t Breathe is an R Rated horror movie starring Stephen Lang as the blind veteran, Jane Levy as Rocky, Dylan Minnette as Alex and Dylan Zovatto as Money. In the movie, three friends Rocky, Dylan and Alex decide to rob the blind veteran’s home thinking he will be an easy target because of his disability from the war. However, they soon discover they’ve underestimated him. As they attempt to navigate through the dark and eerie house, they find that this seemingly innocent old man possesses secrets of his own. Even though the three friends are initially the criminals, the audience is tested with who to root for as the film progresses. Overall, the film is immensely suspenseful with unexpected twists and jumpscares piled throughout; it will undoubtedly keep you invested from start-to-finish. Personally, it was one of my favorite horror films and continues with a sequel. 

2. Thanksgiving

IMD

This R rated movie stars some popular actors, including Addison Rae as Gabby, Nell Veralque as Jessica, Patrick Dempsey as the sheriff, and Milo Manheim as Ryan. In the movie, a Black Friday Thanksgiving riot stirs extreme controversy when a select group of friends begin to be targeted after as a result of the tragedy. The ‘tragedy’ was actually a massive stampede of angry, impatient customers who wanted to be first inside of the mass convenience store known as RightMart, which Jessica’s father (Thomas) owns. Thomas decides to hold another sale the next year despite the backlash and lawsuits from the previous year. A pilgrim-disguised murderer begins to seek revenge on residents, specifically Jessica and her friends. Personally, I do not think the movie is not as scary as the trailer makes it ought to be but does contain several slasher/gory scenes. Additionally it holds an intriguing mystery as the audience is forced to wonder who the masked-murderer really is.  

3. The Black Phone

The Black Phone is another R-Rated horror film that stars Ethan Hawke as the Grabber, Mason Thames as Finney, Miguel Cazarez Mora as Robin, Madeleine McGraw as Gwen, and Brady Hepner as Vance. In this movie, it takes place in the 1970s where a local child abductor and murderer known as ‘The Grabber’ prowls the streets and kidnaps Robin and days later, Finney, where he is held in a soundproof basement. In the basement, he finds a disconnected black rotary phone. When he starts to recieve calls from it, he realizes the voice on the other end belongs to another kidnapped child, and then another. With the help of the other victims, Finney attempts to escape the basement. It is a highly suspenseful movie with well-placed jumpscares, but I personally thought it had a very average storyline. The middle-school drama keeps it interesting, until the main character is imprisoned and much of the plot only seems predictable.