Golden Times

The Student News Site of Fleming Island High School

Golden Times

Golden Times

April is Military Child Month!

This April 30, 2024  FIHS Military families are invited to celebrate!

This month of April wearing purple will show support to the military children around the globe. Did you know that over 1.7 million children in the United States have parents in the military (U.S Cyber Command)?! Military Child Month helps military children feel recognized, important, seen, and much more! This April 30, 2024, FIHS Military families are invited to celebrate! This event is at 11:00 AM at FIHS in the Teacher Training Center (TTC). Please bring your military ID and park at the Bus Loop to participate in this event (FIHS staff member).

In the featured image you might recognize that this photo was taken at Starbucks! This Starbucks in Kingsland, Georgia has done an outstanding job of showing appreciation to Military families! My brother and I were also drinking the delicious purple blended lavender chill. It can be an amazing experience for children with military parents moving around places. Us military children are also sometimes referred to as military brats because of all the traveling we get to do. I love traveling and many military children I know enjoy it as well.  It is also important to recognize that military children must adapt to each move to another state or even a whole different country! The childhood experience of moving opens doors of opportunity for these children, giving them a great perspective of the world. Something awesome about Military children is that we can be very social and quickly make friends (Lauren Tamm). Although, it’s sad to have to say goodbye to friends when moving I love meeting new people and still keeping in touch with friends in other places.

“Military children are BRAVE. Military children go through some hard situations throughout their life. Moving to a new school in the middle of the year is one of the scariest things to go through. But they take the task and, even though they may be scared, they excel and make the most of the experiences they face” (Military No Stress PCS).

These children are also “some of the most resilient children (Military No Stress PCS)”.

FIHS has truly made a successful effort to recognize the military children at this high school. Ms. Ross is this school’s military student and family life counselor. She has greatly impacted the military students here and can help provide resources for military children. Ms. Ross guides students with time management, exploring military scholarships, helping to deal with a military parent leaving or coming back, and how to navigate through their present life. She can meet with military children even six months after if a parent gets out of the military. For more information, you can find Ms. Ross in room 215.

References:

Military child Spencer, Shaina K.

Military student and family life counselor, Ms. Ross

“Military No Stress PCS.” Military No Stress PCS, militarynostresspcs.org/. Accessed 25 Apr. 2024.

“Home USCYBERCOM.” Www.cybercom.mil, www.cybercom.mil/. Accessed 25 Apr. 2024.

“About the Military Wife and Mom.” The Military Wife and Mom, 4 Apr. 2014, themilitarywifeandmom.com/about/. Accessed 25 Apr. 2024.