Senior Class Fundraiser

Jennifer Martocci, Journalist

In less than two months, the Class of 2022 will be graduating from Fleming Island High School! I sat down and talked to the current senior class president, Elijah Tillema, about some of the issues that the senior class is facing regarding graduation: “The estimated cost of graduation this year will be around ten thousand dollars. The senior class is expected to raise about half of that amount themselves.” The funds for graduation typically come from the homecoming and prom profits from the year before. Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, there wasn’t a homecoming or prom last year. This means that the senior class does not have the money to host graduation at the moment. However, this is a problem that is only affecting the Class of 2022 and will not affect future classes, since homecoming and prom are happening again. 

The senior class is putting on different fundraisers to raise money for graduation. There was an attempt at putting on a Valentine’s Day Dance to raise money, but since not enough people bought tickets, the dance was canceled. Another fundraiser was organized by the drama club, by using the profits from the February 25th showing of Spongebob the Musical at the Island Theater to go towards graduation costs. The main fundraiser at the moment is the senior class online donation on MySchoolBucks.com. Tillema also said that more fundraisers will be happening in the future, so stay tuned!

Senior Donation Site: https://www.myschoolbucks.com/ver2/prdembd?ref=ZZH4WPLXJ8082OZ_ZZ5TTKWWQR6G5