Golden Times

The Student News Site of Fleming Island High School

Golden Times

Golden Times

When a Legend retires: MatPat’s last Game Theory

Image via Youtube

Hello Internet!

On April 18th, 2011, the first episode of Game Theory was released, titled, “Game Theory: Is Chrono Trigger’s Time Travel Accurate?”

In the years to come, the series grew and grew. Eventually the theories became too much for one channel.

Film Theory was launched June 2, 2015, with one introductory video and 6 theories:

• “Film Theory: Harry Potter ISN’T The Chosen One?”
  • “Film Theory: Can a Doctor Who Doctor ACTUALLY EXIST?”
  • “Film Theory: Jon Snow is THE KEY to Game of Thrones”
  • “Film Theory: Oscars Hacking pt. 1, How to Win an Academy Award for Best Picture”
  • “Film Theory: Are Video Games the FUTURE of Movies?”
  • And, finally, “Film Theory: Oscars Hacking pt. 2, How to Win Academy Awards for Best Actor and Actress”

For 5 years the duo of channels grew side by side. Then, on July 23, 2020, Food Theory was launched.

Food Theory? Food!?

This channel turned some heads. Food? There’s only so many things one can theorize about food, right? Wrong. Food Theory still thrives to this day with new and creative videos. At this point, people started to suspect that there would be a fourth and final channel.

And they were right.

February 1, 2023, barely over a year ago, Style Theory was launched—the fourth and final Theory channel.

With the channels standing at 19M, 12.9M, 5.28M, and 2.55M subscribers each, the channels are massive.

But all good things must come to an end.

On January 9, 2024, MatPat announced his upcoming retirement with a video titled “Goodbye Internet”

Then, the countdown began.  Matpat’s  final theories on each channel. Then the Theorist Torch will be passed on to and each of the channels gets a new host.

The final Game Theory will be on Saturday, March 9th, at 2:00 PM.

Goodbye Internet.