Golden Times

The Student News Site of Fleming Island High School

Golden Times

Golden Times

The Best Study Hacks For Your Learning Style

Often, high school students forage for ways to improve their studying habits in order to better their academics. However, what many students are unaware of is that their study habits may not be aligning with their current learning style. Recognizing your learning style is crucial as it can help you understand both your strengths and weaknesses to ultimately improve your way of retaining information. You can use this information to your advantage when studying to determine which approach is best for you. 

Now, you may be wondering, “What kinds of learning styles are there, and how do I know which one I fall under?” There are 3 primary learning styles: visual, auditory, and kinesthetic/tactile. You can take an online self-assessment to determine which learning style is best suited for you. Like all online quizzes, note they are not always 100% accurate. 

Education Planner Org. is a website that will test you with 20 questions to determine what type of learner you most likely are. If you want to know your learning style, click the link before continuing the article. 

Visual Learners

If you’re a visual learner, you’re in the vast majority. About 65% of the general population is reportedly a visual learner. Here are some study hacks best fit for you: 

1. Color Code Your Notes

Visual learners best recall information that is appealing and engaging. Use neon highlighters to code your notes for more efficient studying. This system will help you signify important information and offer a visual representation of your understanding of the lesson; it also serves as a reminder of what is essential to review.

2. Use flashcards

With flashcards, it presents an image or a term. This is effective for visual learners as they use this to retain information through a method known as ‘retrieval’. A few other cognitive benefits of flashcards include self-confidence, memorization and enriched vocabulary that prepares you for when you are tested on the material. 

3. Blurt Method

The blurt method is a method where you review a section of notes or material, and then write down everything you remember from reading. This is especially effective for visual learners as it is a repetitive process of reading and writing that strongly reinforces the information in their long-term memory.

Auditory Learners

Only about 30% of the world is an auditory learner, which means you learn best with hearing and listening. Here are some study hacks for this learning style: 

1. Music/songs

Whether you make the song yourself or research a song on the internet, music is a very useful study hack that you can apply to any subject when studying, whether it’s a math formula or the periodic table of elements. By making the lesson into a song, it not only makes the lesson more interesting, but it’s a simple way to repeat the material over and over until it’s solidified into your memory.

2. Study with a friend 

By collaborating with a group of people, it requires you to discuss the material out loud, helping auditory learners retain the information more effectively. By quizzing each other on the content, you are verbally reinforcing the material and further enhancing your understanding.

3. Utilize technology 

There are multiple ways you can take advantage of technology to help auditory learners. For example, auditory learners may prefer to use audio-books instead of an actual handcopy. With audiobooks, students will be able to hear a narrator read aloud, using different emotions to further help them understand the story and improve concentration. 

Kinesthetic learners

If you’re a kinesthetic learner, you’re in the shocking 5% of the population. Kinesthetic learners need to actively participate in problem-solving, often physically. If you fall into this category, here are a few study hacks for you:

1. Make the Material Into a Game

Unfortunately for kinesthetic learners, many assignments are targeted more towards visual and auditory learners, as hands-on activities are not always common in the classroom (especially in a high-school setting). When studying, however, kinesthetic learners can turn their material into a puzzle or a game to help simulate focus and memory. Kinesthetic learners can use blocks, figurines, flashcards or any available resource to put together an easy hands-on study game. 

2. Stand Up > Sitting Down

Did you know that standing up instead of sitting when studying is shown to increase productivity? This is an easy way to help make kinesthetic learners more engaged in learning. Kinesthetic learners could even consider investing in a standing-desk, as movement is key for these types of students. 

3. Take active breaks 

For all types of learners, breaks are absolutely necessary to maintain concentration. However, many students typically tend to steer towards social media or television during that time. For kinesthetic learners, taking a walk, finishing a chore, or practicing a sport are a few hands-on activities that are much more beneficial. It will burn off excess energy and leave you ready to get back to studying! 

Sources: