Golden Times

The Student News Site of Fleming Island High School

Golden Times

Golden Times

Tres Leches Cake

Now that we’re in the month of September, in honor of, National Hispanic Heritage Month I’m going to be making a tres leches cake. Now, in my family we have a recipe that we follow in order to make a delectable tres leches cake. This time however I’m going to be experimenting by trying out a new recipe that I haven’t used before. Tres leches is a very popular dessert in some Hispanic countries, however not everyone makes it the same way.

What it is

A tres leches cake is a sponge cake that is soaked in three different types of milk: evaporated milk, condensed milk, and whole milk. It is then topped with sweet cream. Although this is only the traditional way to do it. Now days people have altered recipes to create a unique or custom type of cake. The only downside about a tres leches cake is, it is only good for a short amount of time. Due to the amount a milk that it contains, a tres leches cake can only last so long. Most of the time however it is so good that it will be gone way before then.

History

Many historians believe that the tres leches cake originated in Nicaragua, however others argue that the idea of soaking a sponge cake with milk was invented long before then. Either way the tres leches cake is widely made in multiple different countries and loved by many. Tres leches also has multiple names such as, torta de tres leches, dulce de tres leches, and pan tres leches.

Website

This recipe can be found on,  allrecipes.com

Ingredients

Cake

• 1 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
  • 1 cup of white sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 2 cups of whole milk
  • 1 (14 ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can of evaporated milk
  • 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream

Sweet cream

• 1 cup of white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Review

Overall the tres leches cake was delicious. Although it was my first time it was pretty easy to make. The only downside was that I had to let it sit overnight in order for the cake to completely soak in the milk. I definitely recommend trying out this recipe.

Tip-after you pour in the three types of milk, leave the cake in the fridge for a couple hours, or if you can, leave it overnight. This cake tastes better when its cold.