Golden Times

The Student News Site of Fleming Island High School

Golden Times

Golden Times

Clubs galore! Why not get involved?

upcoming meet dates, all for you.

Let’s face it: club dates are approaching, and we’d all like to know how to earn some extra community service hours. Whether you’re a freshmen looking to get involved, or a senior scrambling to get some activities on those upcoming college applications, clubs can be beneficial- eye opening, even.

Collected here is a rundown of Fleming’s great clubs, and some of their exciting opportunities.

Interact:

Interact is one of the biggest clubs at our school, and for good reason. The club is a subsidiary organization of Rotary, a community service organization historically known for its efforts in eradicating polio. What makes it different, however, is that Interact is targeted towards highschoolers- so- us. The interact club is run by Ms. Watts (in portable 34) and is responsible for many events and activities we witness here at FIHS, some notable ones being: handing out glowsticks at our home football games, directing and organizing the annual talent show and Mr. FIHS pagent, and of course, the butterfly garden we’re all so aquainted with. Seriously, without them, who would make our school look so pretty?

Interact plans to hold it’s first info meeting on August 22nd in portable 34 after school, so be there or be square!

AP Student Council: 

The AP Student council (or APSC) is an organization comprised of AP scholors with the goal of fostering a positive community among AP students, with a prominent goal being stress relief. You may know the AP Student Council from last year’s Trunk or Treat, stress relief fair, Krispy Kreme fundraiser, car wash, or post-exam festival. Point being: the APSC, for being a relativley new club, is making a dash to become a happily involved component in our excellent student body; we welcome it wholeheartedly.

The APSC is having its first general info meeting after school monday, August 28th, so if you’re in an AP class, plan to take one in the future, or are just plain curious, come on down to Mr. Merrit’s class in portable 35 afterschool and join in the endeavor to foster a livley AP community.

The Future buissiness Leaders of America (FBLA):

FBLA is a nationally recognized association with the main goal of creating and inspiring future business leaders in florida. The organization is constantly expanding as members partake in nationally recognized fundraisers as well as local events. FBLA members get the chance to compete in regional and national events that require students to apply their best skill, especially graphic design. Fleming’s FBLA chapter is best known for hosting the annual Ms. FIHS pagent, and meets upstairs with Ms. Kirkland in room 231.

FBLA is hosting its first meet and greets after school on August 15th and August 22nd, so if business interests you- don’t miss it!

Golden Times Newspaper & Golden quill: 

The Golden Times newspaper and Golden quill (us!) meet upstairs in Ms. Morris’ room, 1026. The Golden Times staff meets every wednesday, and works on constructing articles and advertising our newspaper to the student body. Golden quill meets in the same place, same time, and is a simple literature and writing club.

If either interests you, come upstairs and lets talk- we could always use some help with the paper.

Medical Club: 

The Medical club holds its first informational meeting august 24th after school, upstairs in room 298. If STEM topics or the medical field interests you, then the medical club is a perfect fit.

National Art Honor Society (NAHS): 

NAHS has its first interest meeting August 28th after school, and welcomes all artists to come and learn about the organization!

While it may seem like it- not all clubs are academic in nature. Listed below are other clubs that are happily recreational, and also welcome you to come!

Gamers Gathering: 

Like APSC, Gamers Gathering (refered to as just “gamers” colloquially) also meets in Mr. Merritt’s class, in portable 35. Gamers meets every friday, always, and is a bustling, yet surprisingly chill environment, that welcomes nerds of all kinds to come and indulge their interests. Magic the gathering is the club’s favorite card game, and there are plenty willing to teah you. Come try it out!

Dungeons and Dragons:

D&D club has their first informational meeting thursday, August 17th, and traditionally meets every thursday. Whether you’re an experienced D&D player, looking to learn the game, or just want to make some friends, the table top role playing game (TTRPG) is a great way to socialize, and Ms. Cloud welcomes you in portable 43 after school.

While school can be stressful, I invite you to think of  its clubs differently. After school extracurriculars serve as an opportunity to meet some new people, and see some different faces- outside of the six sets of 20 you see every day. They can help you prepare for your future, find your passions, and simply be fun- something we could all need a little more of. Get out there, I’m sure you can do it.